Saturday, April 08, 2006

"Cheng Meng"

Cheng Meng is the chinese tradition of cleaning and making offerings to ancestors' graves. This year, Cheng Meng, falls on the 5th of April 2006. Usually chinese families either go before or after the actual date... The elderly also say that the weather during this time will be quite rainy, for the next 10days or so, as it is a "sad" day of remembrance...

My family prayed at my great-grandparents and grandparents graves last Friday and because my brothers were not in the country, we havent been to my father's grave yet... promise to go tomorrow, Sunday.

I remembered that about 2 years ago during Cheng Meng itself, my father's grave was vandalised by unknown people. We suspected someone, but because we have no proof, we could not accuse anyone. My mum thought that it was done by someone who she didnt gave the job of making the "hong sui" or the grave, hence once the grave was completed by my late father's friend, that person got jealous and trash my father's grave.

We were all quite upset when we saw it and even friends came over to pray and give offering at my father's grave... knowing my father, who is a gentle and kind person thoughout his life, he would probably forgive the person who vandalise his grave but I'm not sure if the children inherited his peaceful and tolerant ways ....

I was shocked to know that my 52years old cousin passed away last Wednesday and the family didnt know about it until his entombment which was held yesterday... May his soul rest in peace...

No comments: